Foundry Part 7: Finally the HOT stuff.

Last night I had my first melt. I still haven’t finished the foundry burner, so I just used the weed burner. It did alright, but was probably wasteful. I ended up having to shim the lid up so I could get enough air forced in from the weed burner and the propane bottle started getting pretty cold which is an indication of using quite a bit of propane.

I started pretty slowly bringing the small crucible up to heat, my goal to try to draw out and dry out any water it might have absorbed. Hopefully by going slow we wouldn’t crack the crucible on the first melt. I have two crucibles, this one is the small one that I think I can manhandle with a pair of channel locks, until I build the pouring tongs I need.

I am not sure I can describe the feeling of excitement and nervousness that I had while the foundry was coming up to temp, was I ready for this? Was it going to work with just the weed burner? Did I have enough safety equipment? Was this a dumb idea to pour the small crucible with some channel locks?  I took off the lid and things were glowing nicely. I understand why people use sunglasses at this stage now.

I added some small aluminum scrap I have been collecting from computers and misc things to start off, and put the lid back on. Then I added some aluminum extrusions I had picked up at a garage sale a couple of weeks back, it was surprising to watch the extrusions melt through the top and just slowly slide down into the puddle of molten aluminum. Each one might have taken four minutes, I called Jennifer and Jasmine out to watch.

Top shimmed up and a piece of aluminum extrusion melting down into the crucible.

I want to make ingot molds, I have a design picked out I would like to make, but for this first test melt…. I just went to Fred Meyer and picked out some mini-loaf pans and a muffin tray. I had just arrived and was having a look at one, when an older lady came by and espoused her undying love for those mini loaf pans, evidently they are just the right size and she could get 5-6 loafs out of a normal recipe, and  especially now that she only had her and her husband left in the house… they were just the right size… I didn’t have the heart to tell her I was not going to use them for the intended purpose, that I was going to pour molten metal in them!

The first pour went well but I had forgot the teflon coating was going to burn off the pans and the bit of fire and smoke made it difficult to see for about five seconds. Once both were poured, I put the crucible back in the foundry,  added some bell housing scrap I had cut from a transmission put the lid back on and then some more of that extrusion. It all melted super quickly and was really clean, I did not have to skim dross. I did one more pour. Two ingots and two muffins.

2nd pour. two more ingots.
Silver mini loafs of aluminum.

 

 

 

 

I ended up with almost ~#10.75 of aluminum, 4.881 Kilos,  4 in ingots and 2 in muffins.

 

 

 

I may take the wire wheel to one of these and sand it up, and polish it, just to see how it works up since these were my first ingots!

 

 

Leave a Reply